Sunday, January 30, 2011

Eli Lilly Petitions for Certiorari in Sun v. Eli Lilly

In a previous post to this blog, I discussed the case of Sun Pharmaceuticals v. Eli Lilly, in which a panel of the Federal Circuit dramatically expanded the scopeof the doctrine of obviousness-type double patenting. I also worked with the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) on an amicus brief supporting Lilly's petition for rehearing en banc, available here. The Federal Circuit denied that petition, over a vigorous dissent by four judges (Newman, Rader, Lourie, and Linn), who argued that "[u]ntil recently the law of double patenting was clear, but it has become distorted by divergent statements, leading to this flawed ruling."

Notably, one of the dissenting judges (Rader) was the author of the Geneva opinion, which created the precedential authority upon which the Sun panel justified its decision. But as noted by the four dissenting judges, "extending Geneva to cover the facts of [Sun] does not further the policy of obviousness-type double patenting."

On Friday, Eli Lilly filed a petition for certiorari asking the Supreme Court to review the Federal Circuit's decision in Sun. The question is presented as "[w]hether the Federal Circuit improperly transformed the doctrine of "double patenting," in conflict with a "vast body of precedent" cited by four dissenting judges, by creating a new bright-line rule that invalidates a subsequent patent on a nonobvious, newly discovered use of the basic invention solely because it was disclosed, but not claimed, in the final text of the earlier basic patent."

Lilly's petition cites extensively to the opinion of the four dissenting Federal Circuit judges, including a statement that the Sun decision "violates a vast body of precedent," and a charge that the majorities refusal to rehear the case en banc to resolve the Court’s conflicting precedent in this area constitutes "an indictment of the ability of [that] court to provide stable law in the areas entrusted to [it]."

9 comments:

App Development said...

It is quite useful for all people I think, not only for me. It is really great that you have shared this information with us. Thanks a lot one more time and I will be waiting for other great information from you in the nearest future. Regards, michaelvk from 3D Animation

Moleskin said...

I really admire the current situation "I finally found the article I was looking for. the article was very helpful to me. thank you "

price per head online said...

Very nice site and article. Amazing one, i appreciate this work.... This is a wonderful post Hey I see smart blog

site said...

I read a lot of helpful info in this post!

putas said...

It cannot have effect as a matter of fact, that's exactly what I suppose.

alicson katich said...

I am looking for a restaurant mobile apps since long time. Can anybody suggest me a good application?

stamp duty in scotland said...

I am talking to Chutney Joes for their Franchise option in IL. I will post my comments soon. stamp duty in scotland

tayyab ali said...

Thank you very much for posting and sharing this great article. It is so interesting. I want to know some other information about this site.branson mo area chiropractor

Sophie Grace said...

Great information, really loved to read this blog post. Find latest version of clone hero from this site: webstagram